Once in a lifetime Africa safari trip - gear suggestions/input from those who have been there…

LoneRider

POTN Refugee
Name
Wayne
Image Editing
Yes
I am going to Africa in June for a three day safari. This is just part of a longer trip and not a dedicated photo adventure. As such, I am somewhat limited on how much photo gear I can bring.

Trying to figure out what gear would give me me biggest bang for the buck as far as being restrained without going full minimalist. Photos are personal use only, don’t expect to have “professional” quality or need of large prints.

I’ve got gobs of gear and in a perfect world I would bring it all and have sherpa to carry it.

I have the following specific questions:

R7 or R6MII? - R7 pros are size/weight and crop “magnification” R6 pros are FF and lower noise. I also have an R5, but if I go FF I am thinking the R6MII might be the better choice. Can ONE body do it all or should they both go?

RF 14-35mm F/4 seems like a lock for wide angle and size/weight means it is able to be tucked almost anywhere.

Longer lenses - RF 24-240mm is a great jack of all trades, not small but not heavy. RF 100-400mm more reach, also not much weight.

L Lenses- I have RF 70-200mm and RF 100-500mm as well as a 1.4x TC. Can’t use TC with the 70-200mm and range is limited when using TC with the 100-500mm. Much bigger size and weight, more $$$ risk for mishap. Not opposed to picking up a 2x TC as well, is 500mm/700mm (800mm/1160mm on R7) “enough” and worth the extra space and weight?

Using a TC on the 100-500mm, will the loss of the 100-300mm range be an issue? Should I expect to be swapping a TC on and off a lot?

I’m tempted to try and get the RF 200-800mm if I can before the trip, would that be a better range for “do it all” with fewer lens swaps?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

I went to Africa last year. I took more but used a 24-70 on one R6 body, but not a lot. I used a 200-400 that has a built in 1.4 TC which is what I used the most on a R6II. I did not feel like I needed more than the 560 that I had and most of my keepers were at less than 560.

If you can take it the RF100-500 was the lens of choice when I was there. I saw a lot of them. I liked having the wider lens available when the animals got close. One of my favorite shots with it is of an elephant who got within 30 or less feet of our vehicle.

My avitar is a lepord I shot at 530mm.

Here's the elephant shot at 30mm.

BP610397-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

I have never used a 24-240, but if you like the photos it produces I would take it. I would also take the 100-500. I don't think you need a TC.

If you want to take just one body I would chose the R6 witht he 100-500.

If you want to go lightweight the R6 + 100-400 would equal what a lot of people used before the 100-500 was available. The old EF 100-400 was a standard safari lens in the past. If you want just a bit more reach (through cropping ability) the R5 would do that.

You don't want to be swapping lenses much, at least not while we were there when it was dry which equals dusty.

More photos HERE.

Last edited:
I am heading to Africa in May 10 for a 10 day safaria in Zambia & a 3 day safari in Zimbabwe. I have been to Kenya for 10 days in 2019. My advise is less is more for traveling. I used one body with a 100-400mm lens 99% of the time. I brought a back up body and my 24-70 mm lens as well, 4 batteries and enough SD cards to take 8000 photos. This time I am doing the same but tripled my SD card count. Have fun and don’t forget to put your camera down and take in the whole picture of where you are at. Your best memory card is your brain, your best lens is your eyes and your best picture is not through the end of a lens. Don’t forget to enjoy the whole experience. Have a blast.

I am going to Africa in June for a three day safari. This is just part of a longer trip and not a dedicated photo adventure. As such, I am somewhat limited on how much photo gear I can bring.

Trying to figure out what gear would give me me biggest bang for the buck as far as being restrained without going full minimalist. Photos are personal use only, don’t expect to have “professional” quality or need of large prints.

I’ve got gobs of gear and in a perfect world I would bring it all and have sherpa to carry it.

I have the following specific questions:

R7 or R6MII? - R7 pros are size/weight and crop “magnification” R6 pros are FF and lower noise. I also have an R5, but if I go FF I am thinking the R6MII might be the better choice. Can ONE body do it all or should they both go?

RF 14-35mm F/4 seems like a lock for wide angle and size/weight means it is able to be tucked almost anywhere.

Longer lenses - RF 24-240mm is a great jack of all trades, not small but not heavy. RF 100-400mm more reach, also not much weight.

L Lenses- I have RF 70-200mm and RF 100-500mm as well as a 1.4x TC. Can’t use TC with the 70-200mm and range is limited when using TC with the 100-500mm. Much bigger size and weight, more $$$ risk for mishap. Not opposed to picking up a 2x TC as well, is 500mm/700mm (800mm/1160mm on R7) “enough” and worth the extra space and weight?

Using a TC on the 100-500mm, will the loss of the 100-300mm range be an issue? Should I expect to be swapping a TC on and off a lot?

I’m tempted to try and get the RF 200-800mm if I can before the trip, would that be a better range for “do it all” with fewer lens swaps?

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Where are you going? Different countries and parks may have different requirements (for example, in Tanzania I found they are very strict on keeping to the roads, in Zambia a bit more relaxed).

You can't have enough focal length... We went to Kruger National Park in 2018 with 2 400 mm (for me and my wife). I also had my 24-70 on my 5DIII. This last one was used for 100 photos out of 5000 total. Almost all 'keepers' were cropped for magnification.

Don't buy, rent! I had the 7DII with an EF 100-400 and 1.4X converter rented. If I did it again it would be the R6II with some big, rented white lenses.

Also, test rent the lenses you are considering beforehand, as a test. I just returned from a trip to Big Bend National Park. I took with me an RF 100-400 I was considering for buying. Didn't like it, so I am not buying it.

Where are you going? Different countries and parks may have different requirements (for example, in Tanzania I found they are very strict on keeping to the roads, in Zambia a bit more relaxed).
So. Luangwa in Zambia. That is the majority of my trip. I am doing 2 nights at Victoria Falls and a walking safari nearby. When I was in Kenya I often did not even need the 400mm reach on a full frame body. My driver for this upcoming trip has an off road permit & I paid extra to have him as a private driver.

I am heading to Africa in May 10 for a 10 day safaria in Zambia & a 3 day safari in Zimbabwe. I have been to Kenya for 10 days in 2019. My advise is less is more for traveling. I used one body with a 100-400mm lens 99% of the time. I brought a back up body and my 24-70 mm lens as well, 4 batteries and enough SD cards to take 8000 photos. This time I am doing the same but tripled my SD card count. Have fun and don’t forget to put your camera down and take in the whole picture of where you are at. Your best memory card is your brain, your best lens is your eyes and your best picture is not through the end of a lens. Don’t forget to enjoy the whole experience. Have a blast.

- Will be at least two bodies as I am also taking my R50 and RF-S 18-150mm and 10-18mm kit for the non-safari stuff. Will definitely have all the SD and storage capacity I need.

Agreed on not keeping camera glued to face - photos are secondary to the personal experience, but everyone wants to see them and for me even a crappy photo I took will cause me to reminisce about the experience and help me relive it.

- Don’t have all the specifics yet. Will be in Kenya, told it is a “top notch” safari outfit though. Should know more in a week or two.

You can't have enough focal length... We went to Kruger National Park in 2018 with 2 400 mm (for me and my wife). I also had my 24-70 on my 5DIII. This last one was used for 100 photos out of 5000 total. Almost all 'keepers' were cropped for magnification.

Don't buy, rent! I had the 7DII with an EF 100-400 and 1.4X converter rented. If I did it again it would be the R6II with some big, rented white lenses.

Also, test rent the lenses you are considering beforehand, as a test. I just returned from a trip to Big Bend National Park. I took with me an RF 100-400 I was considering for buying. Didn't like it, so I am not buying it.

- The RF 200-800mm is getting great reviews and would reduce swapping the TC on and off of the RF 100-500mm. Can only use TC on the 100-500mm at 300mm+ and can’t be used at all on the RF 70-200mm L lenses (what was Canon thinking? :mad:)

I’m not much for renting repeatedly if it is something I have use for or can exchange other gear for. I have an R6 body and RF 15-35mm f/2.8L for sale either of which would pretty much cover the 200-800mm. Only real issue is getting my hands on one given the supply shortage.

For my first few safaris I was *very* happy with a 100-400 on a 7d2 and taking pics of big mammals - it's amazing. You'll be fine with a 100-500 on your R5. There will be occasions where stuff gets too close for 100, but if they're chilled enough for you to get that close then you should have time to switch lenses for something 50mm-ish.

On later trips when I had more time and started to look out for birds and smaller mammals I "invested" in a 500 + 1.4x which pretty much lives permanently on an r5, with a 100-400 on a the 7d2 as backup. Anything too close for that, I'm grabbing my phone or switching lenses.

Have more info on the destination now. Amboseli National Park and we will be staying at the Amboseli Kilima Camp.

Any info or suggestions on either the park or that particular camp?

Have more info on the destination now. Amboseli National Park and we will be staying at the Amboseli Kilima Camp.

Any info or suggestions on either the park or that particular camp?
Just go and enjoy the surprise. I promise, not knowing every detail makes it so much more amazing. I had no idea what to expect when I went to Kenya 4 years ago & I was thrilled every single day. I leave in 34 hours for the unknowns of Zambia. Loving the anticipation…..

Back
Top Bottom