Our Moon as seen from Brisbane on 30th April 2024.

I fitted the Canon RF 200-800mm with the RF Extender x2.0 and the EOS R7 onto my Equatorial Mount (tracking mount). The Moon pretty much occupied some 80% of the view finder.

I used the built-in Interval Timer to take 75 frames (1 sec delay) as the mount tracked the Moon across the skies, compensating for the Earth’s rotation.

The 75 Frames were Aligned and Stacked in Autostakkert4! To improve the S/N Ratio.

I then used Wavesharp to deconvolve the resulting stacked image, which improves the image quality by removing some of the effects of the scintillations in the Earth’s atmosphere.

1600mm, F18, ISO400, 1/60 sec.

These are full res crops.

Dennis.

R7 200to800 X2 Extender 75 Frames Crop 1600 FR B.jpg

R7 200to800 X2 Extender 75 Frames Crop 1600 FR D.jpg

I fitted the Canon RF 200-800mm with the RF Extender x2.0 and the EOS R7 onto my Equatorial Mount (tracking mount). The Moon pretty much occupied some 80% of the view finder.

I used the built-in Interval Timer to take 75 frames (1 sec delay) as the mount tracked the Moon across the skies, compensating for the Earth’s rotation.

The 75 Frames were Aligned and Stacked in Autostakkert4! To improve the S/N Ratio.

I then used Wavesharp to deconvolve the resulting stacked image, which improves the image quality by removing some of the effects of the scintillations in the Earth’s atmosphere.

Dennis.
Wow.. These are sharper than the ones the Apollo guys took. :) They had a much better view though.

Dennis.

View attachment 65920

View attachment 65921
Awesome shots! Thanks for sharing info about your process too.

Dennis.

View attachment 65920

View attachment 65921
Oh my. What amazing pics, Dennis. Awesome.

Wow.. These are sharper than the ones the Apollo guys took. :) They had a much better view though.
With a little creative visualisation, you can just about make out some of the structure of the Hadley Rille in my photo, which was the landing site of Apollo 15.

Apollo 15 was launched on July 26, 1971, and successfully completed the fourth human landing on the Moon. It was the first of the “J series” of Apollo missions, which featured longer stays on the surface and in lunar orbit and more extensive science operations than was possible on the earlier Apollo missions. Commander David Scott and Lunar Module Pilot James Irwin landed the lunar module Falcon about 0.5 km from the planned landing location at Hadley-Apennine. Hadley Rille is a lunar lava channel, and the Apennine Mountains form part of the rim of the Imbrium impact basin.

For comparison, the lower image is a screen capture of the region, taken from the Virtual Moon Atlas, a free Lunar Atlas available at:

https://ap-i.net/avl/en/start

Dennis.

Apollo 15.jpg

Monday morning at Belmar Park, Lakewood, Colorado USA.

Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600 C, 10 frame stack

moon-10stack-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom