Technical Questions - Posting and Browsing Images

RDWP

Gold Member
Image Editing
No
Apologies if there is already an active thread for the subject matter, but couldn't locate one that seemed appropriate.
(I tried to post this to the "FAQs and Best Practices" sub-head but that seems locked to new threads.)

First question (which may have been answered elsewhere): What constitutes "Media" posts here, and how do they differ from other photo posts? When I look at my Media ("Media added by RDWP") it shows just 51 of my photo uploads; the last one is an image I posted 10 days ago. Most don't show there. As far as I can tell, all have been attached the same way. There doesn't seem to be a reason that some go there and others don't. It's really useful to be able to see all our images in one place (as at POTN), even if just so we don't duplicate so many posts! :facepalm:

Apologies if there is already an active thread for the subject matter, but couldn't locate one that seemed appropriate.
(I tried to post this to the "FAQs and Best Practices" sub-head but that seems locked to new threads.)
Hey Rob. Forum Talk is the right place for questions.

First question (which may have been answered elsewhere): What constitutes "Media" posts here, and how do they differ from other photo posts? When I look at my Media ("Media added by RDWP") it shows just 51 of my photo uploads; the last one is an image I posted 10 days ago. Most don't show there. As far as I can tell, all have been attached the same way. There doesn't seem to be a reason that some go there and others don't. It's really useful to be able to see all our images in one place (as at POTN), even if just so we don't duplicate so many posts!
:facepalm:
Media are basically those images that are in the Gallery. And in the Gallery there are two types of images:

1. those that are added there by members into albums they themselves created;
2. attached images that are mirrored from posts on the board.

The first doesn't need an explanation I think, but the second might (I think I started a thread about it somewhere, or it's in Tips and Tricks, not sure - it's been a while...).

All images attached to posts in the Photo Sharing section of the board are automatically mirrored into the album "Forum Photos" in the Gallery, all in their own forum categories. Exceptions are G&N, Games and Competitions and the Critique Corner (all excluded for various reasons).

So if you post mostly in forums that aren't included in the mirrored forums, they aren't mirrored in the Gallery and won't show up in the Media tab. However, we found a solution to that. You may have noticed we now have a tab "Attachments" in our member profile. It's also listed in our account menu up top:

Schermafbeelding 2024-04-17 om 21.35.18.png

Clicking on it gives you a complete list of all your attachments, with the date, in descending order and with a link to the post, like so. There is as yet no way to repost attachments directly from this list, but I'm working on that.

Schermafbeelding 2024-04-17 om 21.36.20.png

My profile doesn't have the word "Media," although I've posted many attachments in Photo Sharing. I don't know that having images designated as media items would be advantageous. (I also haven't created any albums, because I don't know what they're for.) Just asking whether something's missing that should be there.

You’re looking in the wrong place, OhLook (edit: no, that is not your profile, it’s a kind of shortcut to all the different settings within your account).

Click on your name below your avatar.
Click on your name in the pull down window you just posted a screenshot of.

Thanks Levina! Appreciate the info. I hadn't understood the distinction between photos posted to some parts of Photo Sharing branch vs. others (e.g. Competitions). And I hadn't realized that "Attachments" is there and lets me locate all image uploads. Just what I was looking for.

I think I was thrown by the wee summary tab I was looking at most often, which only clicks through to the "Media" gallery, and to "Posts" link, which doesn't show any images.

I don't suppose there's any way to view larger-size thumbnail when looking at Attachments (other than [Ctrl+] in Windows), i.e. for older eyes? Like those when I view in Media.

1713448628733.png

Thanks Levina! Appreciate the info. I hadn't understood the distinction between photos posted to some parts of Photo Sharing branch vs. others (e.g. Competitions). And I hadn't realized that "Attachments" is there and lets me locate all image uploads. Just what I was looking for.
As you know the EXIF was lacking on the board at first, where it did/does show in the gallery. So mirroring the images in the Photo Sharing section in the gallery seemed like a good idea (they’re not actually duplicated!).

I think I was thrown by the wee summary tab I was looking at most often, which only clicks through to the "Media" gallery, and to "Posts" link, which doesn't show any images.
When you click on “wee summary tab” you are taken to only your images though. But yes, those not in a mirrored forum aren’t there. Hence the new Attachments tab.

I don't suppose there's any way to view larger-size thumbnail when looking at Attachments (other than [Ctrl+] in Windows), i.e. for older eyes? Like those when I view in Media.

View attachment 62465
No, there is no option for it at present. But I can look into that, see if I can modify the code. It shouldn’t be too difficult.

It will have to wait until next week though, Rob, as my internet modem needs replacing. That happens next Tuesday. Right now I have no cable and no WiFi. Just G4 on my tiny iPhone. I can’t work on that thumbnail of a screen. Well okay, it’s two thumbnails long…

In the mean time, you know you can click on the thumbnails in the Attachments list and that they open big then, right?

It will have to wait until next week though, Rob, as my internet modem needs replacing. That happens next Tuesday. Right now I have no cable and no WiFi. Just G4 on my tiny iPhone. I can’t work on that thumbnail of a screen. Well okay, it’s two thumbnails long…

In the mean time, you know you can click on the thumbnails in the Attachments list and that they open big then, right?
My modem will have to be replaced soon too. This was the scene outside my house this morning - Team 1 installing ducting and fibre to dwellings. I am told there will be 3 more teams to follow before the benefits of fibre internet can be enjoyed

IMG_4339_.jpg

@Stiga
Thankfully all cables are in the ground already here and it’s just the modem and main connection in my home that need replacing.

It’s just weird that a modem works flawlessly for years and then suddenly it doesn’t. I wonder what changed.

@Stiga
Thankfully all cables are in the ground already here and it’s just the modem and main connection in my home that need replacing.

It’s just weird that a modem works flawlessly for years and then suddenly it doesn’t. I wonder what changed.
Well, I have had 2 modem failures during the last 2-3 years. The most serious was caused by a lightening strike when all sorts of domestic equipment was fried during a spectacular storm. Our heat pump survived but a near neighbour was not so lucky. The other instance was a power surge during overhead power line work. We, and other local heat pump owners now have installed UPS (uninterruptible power supply)

Levina, can't you use your phone as a mobile WiFi hotspot for your computer? Around here, that's usually good for 40 MBPS or so.
Yes, indeed. Thank you, Anton.

You guys are great. @macstory suggested that to me yesterday and it works beautifully. I do have a monthly 1GB data limit though (750MB left now), as I do most everything with WiFi. I can of course buy more and will do so if needed. It’s really amazing how well that works though, my iPhone as hotspot!

Strangely enough the old modem is working fine now and has been all morning. That’s what I don’t quite understand, how it intermittently works, and for longer periods of time too. And then suddenly, poof, connection gone. I mean, when a modem fails (for no apparent reason, no bolt of lightning or anything) I would think it fails completely: it works or it doesn’t. But apparently that is not the case? Sites do load slower though now, so there is that.

Well, I have had 2 modem failures during the last 2-3 years. The most serious was caused by a lightening strike when all sorts of domestic equipment was fried during a spectacular storm. Our heat pump survived but a near neighbour was not so lucky. The other instance was a power surge during overhead power line work. We, and other local heat pump owners now have installed UPS (uninterruptible power supply)
That’s so odd, nothing of the kind happened here. It worked, then suddenly it didn’t. They tell me it’s because the modem is old and needs replacing. Okay then. Fingers crossed.

Around here, the typical DSL or cable internet connection is with a single modem/router/AP unit (aka "Internet box") furnished by the ISP. When we have had those in the past, they will randomly go bad and we can just take them to the local office and swap for a new one. Usually they'd tell us something like, "Wow that is an old one! We stopped using those xxx years ago..."

Now we're on fiber and they only provide the ONT (basically a fiber modem but apparently some pedants freak out when you say that). The router and everything else are ours. The fiber company would probably replace the ONT within hours if it were to go bad. They have great customer service.

Swapping the modem (“internet box”) is not the problem (I just received a notice that the new one will be delivered tomorrow). It’s the main connection it has to be connected to that needs replacing that the ISP has to do.

I still have a cable connection, even though fiber is available.

Swapping the modem (“internet box”) is not the problem (I just received a notice that the new one will be delivered tomorrow). It’s the main connection it has to be connected to that needs replacing that the ISP has to do.

I still have a cable connection, even though fiber is available.
We also still got cable(and 2 fibre connections in the meter cupboard) but with TV and 1000down/100up internet for 28,50 euro/month I'm not switching!

We also still got cable(and 2 fibre connections in the meter cupboard) but with TV and 1000down/100up internet for 28,50 euro/month I'm not switching!
:yikes: That’s a mighty sweet deal, Patrick! Who’s your ISP?

I have a legacy subscription with Ziggo but I’m contemplating switching to fiber. I will get more for less but I’m hesitating. I’ve been with them through all the mergers and what have you (A-2000>Chello>UPC>Ziggo) for 25 years and it’s been flawless all this time. On Tweakers.net I read a lot of complaints about fiber. So not sure.

I’m contemplating switching to fiber. I will get more for less but I’m hesitating. I’ve been with them through all the mergers and what have you (A-2000>Chello>UPC>Ziggo) for 25 years and it’s been flawless all this time. On Tweakers.net I read a lot of complaints about fiber. So not sure.
I've had fiber for several years. No problems with it. It's faster than the DSL it replaced.

Back
Top Bottom