To adjust the photo size to the window

Lubos-PM

Gold Member
Name
Luboš
Image Editing
No
When I open a photo from the gallery that is in portrait orientation, its size adjusts (shrinks) according to the size of the window. If I hover over such a photo directly in the thread, sometimes the arrow changes to a hand, the photo opens when clicked, and there is an option to view metadata on the right side. But sometimes the arrow doesn't change to a hand, and then the photo size doesn't adjust to the window size, it is bigger than the window. I tried to increase the portrait size to 1602 px, then in a few cases the arrow on the hand changed, but in a few others it didn't either. This doesn't just affect my photos, but other authors as well. Is there any trick to make the photo directly in the thread shrink to the height of the window so that it can be seen in full?

When I open a photo from the gallery that is in portrait orientation, its size adjusts (shrinks) according to the size of the window. If I hover over such a photo directly in the thread, sometimes the arrow changes to a hand, the photo opens when clicked, and there is an option to view metadata on the right side.
The photo is bigger than the width of your window. The hand allows you to scroll the image when expanded to full size. You should have seen a "+" sign and when clicked somewhere in the photo, it expands and you see the hand. Click and hold and move the mouse will move the photo.
But sometimes the arrow doesn't change to a hand, and then the photo size doesn't adjust to the window size, it is bigger than the window. I tried to increase the portrait size to 1602 px, then in a few cases the arrow on the hand changed, but in a few others it didn't either. This doesn't just affect my photos, but other authors as well. Is there any trick to make the photo directly in the thread shrink to the height of the window so that it can be seen in full?
If it doesn't change, the photo is smaller than the width of your window so no need to expand. Maybe you double clicked to expand the image?

I'm afraid we don't understand each other.

Case 1: For example, in the "Post your Black and White Portraits Here!!!" thread I have a 1068×1600 px photo as post #102, so it's higher than a window on a 2K monitor. When I hover the cursor over this photo, the cursor still remains in the form of an arrow. When I left-click, nothing happens.

screen1.jpg

Case 2: Then I have a photo in post #120 which is 1067×1600 px. Here, when I hover over it, the cursor immediately changes to a hand, when I left click, the photo shrinks to see the whole thing, and the metadata is visible on the right side and at the bottom you can see a strip with a few more photos.

screen2.jpg

I insert photos directly into the post either by dragging and dropping from Adobe Bridge or via Attach files -> Insert -> Full Image, but never otherwise. And it's not just my photos, the first case applies to other authors' photos as well, see #124, #128, #129, but others as well. I tried inserting the photo I have under #160 once by dragging and once via Attach files etc, in both cases the photo behaved as in case 2, so the method of insertion has no effect. Now I tried again to insert the photo I have in #102, again it behaved as in case 1. So why do photos sometimes behave according to case 1 and others of the same size according to case 2?

Just to clarify - Windows 11 + Edge or Firefox or Chrome, in all behave the same.

Luboš, there are two ways an image can be displayed: in gallery mode or in forum mode. When an image on the board is linked to a gallery, it will open in gallery mode when you click on it and with the exif on the right.

When an image is not linked to a gallery and you click on it, all it will do is zoom in and out and there is no exif on the right.

However, both images should resize to fit in your browser window. It does on my Mac.

The two examples you gave above (post #102 and #120) behave the exact same way on my Mac (in Firefox). I see a little hand. Then I click on the images and they open in gallery mode, with the exif on the right. Both images fit perfectly in my browser window. Look at this screen shot:

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-01-21 om 11.39.18.png

And here is an image that is not linked to a gallery, so it only exists on the board. When I click on it, it goes into view mode and there is no exif on the side as it's not in a gallery. But as you can see, this image too is resized to fit into my browser window.

So I'm not really sure what is going on that makes certain images behave differently on your end. I simply can't replicate the behaviour you are seeing.

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-01-21 om 11.57.47.png

Just checked on my monitor & I don't get the "hand" displayed over either post #102 OR post #120 but it's possible that's due to my monitor settings? (1920 x 1080)

I do get a "hand" over post #110, which left clicked, displays as gallery view.

Luboš, can you let us know what size monitor you have, what resolution settings, and which FoP style you're using please? it might be a combination of any one of these that's making it displayed differently for you, but maybe we can rule things out.

Benq PD2706U monitors as the main monitor, Benq GW2765 next to it, both with a resolution of 2560×1440 px, A Familiar Look. I have now set the PD2706U resolution to 3840×2160 px, and at #102 the arrow changes to a hand - so #102 works as Levina wrote, but it didn't change for #101.

Here's #101 on my screen after clicking on it:

I have to say, I have a 24" monitor and so there is no scaling whatsoever going on. So maybe it could be a scaling problem? I'm asking because I don't know what else it could be. It's strange, because I also checked my iPhone and iPad, and this image was resized to their sizes. Even to the iPhone in Landscape mode! So I have no idea what is causing this.

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-01-21 om 13.48.17.png

I don't know what to say, Luboš. Everything works flawlessly on my end, with all of my devices, and I have no idea why it's not working properly on your end. I'm stumped. I'll see if I can find something on the Xenforo site.

I confess I don't understand, Levina. If it was just on one PC, but I've also tested it on a laptop, at home on an older PC with W7, via remote desktop and on a PC with W10 in the office, the problem is everywhere. There is probably a big difference between Mac and Windows. But I'm not switching to a Mac because of it :D .

Plus, it's acting weird. I restarted the PC, resolution 2560×1440 px, on #102 and #104 only an arrow, on #120 a hand. I changed the resolution to 3840×2160 px, on both #102 and #104 a hand, but on #120 just an arrow for a change. I returned the resolution to 2560×1440 px, reloaded the page and on #102 and #104 only an arrow, on #120 a hand. I also tried changing FoP styles, but didn't see a change there.

I don't have an explanation either Luboš. You would think, because you get different results with different resolutions, it would be a scaling problem. However, you said the problem occurs everywhere. We're stumped. And out of ideas.

And by the way, I doubt it's a Mac vs Windows thing, so I wouldn't switch! :LOL:

Well, if this isn't weird. I went back to check and I get a ton of just pointers now. No hands where there were hands before! The pointer cursor doesn't do anything. I can't zoom in, nothing. The lady in post #102 that I posted a screenshot of earlier? Now I only see a pointer and she's too big for my browser window!

So it's not just you after all, Luboš.

So what is going on? And why did I see hands before and now not any more? :wat:

On both my Sonoma MBP and on my High Sierra iMac, using Safari, when I go to that post I get an oversized photo that does not respond to clicking. If I look at it in the gallery, it is scaled to fit the screen.

Yes, they all work correctly in gallery, no matter what my monitor resolution is set to. The problem is only with the photos directly in the threads that are portrait oriented, and this problem varies with the monitor resolution setting, as I wrote in #10. I just can't figure out why this is so, by what algorithm it changes, when the dimensions of the photos are the same, that is width 1068 px, height 1600 px.

Well, it is definitely related to the image width. You get hands for wide images and a pointed cursor for narrow images in portrait mode. This is also the reason I get only hands on my iPhone: the screen is so small that it forces the software to downsize the images. With our big screens this appears a bit more complicated apparently.

There is a workaround though and that is to make your browser window smaller than the width of the narrowest images on the page. Then you will get all hands. Or if it's just one image on a page, make your browser window small, refresh the page and you will get the hand. Then just make your browser window large again, the hand will stay. It's not exactly ideal, but it is a workaround.

I've been looking on the Xenforo site and they acknowledge there are some issues with the lightbox.

I will also experiment with some settings, see if changing the page width e.g. might have an effect. I will do that in the coming days.

Back
Top Bottom