Very Short Rant About Memory Card Cases

RDKirk

POTN Refugee
Image Editing
No
Rant: Black memory card cases. I hate them. Memory card cases should always be a color that is easily spotted even in dim conditions.

Back when I was shooting with Compact Flash cards, I had "Gepe Extreme" card cases, which I loved because they were made of a high-impact brightly colored transparent plastic. Not only were they easy to spot, but you could see at a glance the status of the cards inside.

These are more like what I'd want:

Rant: Black memory card cases. I hate them. Memory card cases should always be a color that is easily spotted even in dim conditions.

Back when I was shooting with Compact Flash cards, I had "Gepe Extreme" card cases, which I loved because they were made of a high-impact brightly colored transparent plastic. Not only were they easy to spot, but you could see at a glance the status of the cards inside.

Those look nice! I have black cases… :confused:

yes black are hard to see, but it's still my preferred color hehe. If I change my mind, I will consider using a reflective tape or something.

I don't know if I am just in the butterfingers class, but I can never get those plastic cases to open easily, I struggle for half an hour breaking my fingernails in the rush to change cards! I prefer the wallet type.

Cases, eh? Hmmm, what will they think of next? Those do look pretty nice. I've just been throwing my cards into a Ziploc bag and into my backpack all these years.

I just use my camera bags' pockets with those mesh fabrics.
Easy to see & locate, zippered to contain, holds lotsa stuff.
Those pockets are all interior, not exterior-facing.

A wallet-type thing would be nice, but they don't typically accommodate
multiple physical formats in a favorable way(CF, SD, MicroSD, etc.).

It's largely a moot point for me anyway, as I typically offload card contents
to PC or NAS after a shoot. Therefore, I only circulate three or fewer memory
cards at any given time. I simply use a few CF and SD cards of high capacity.

Point of significant note: I'm not a pro or making money with my photography.
This obviously negates the need for me to take precautions as pros do.

Had this made when I switched from Canon using CF to Fujifilm using SD - My CF cards were held in a Think Tank Pixel Pocket Rocket and was attached to a belt loop and never left my side.

I've attached a magnetic clip so I can easily pull it out of my Think Tank Stuff It!
CardHolder.jpg

I've got a Think Tank wallet with a bunch of old cards in it that I carry in my bag but haven't opened in a couple of years. I've also got a Think Tank case that holds 1 battery and 1 card. I keep a good card in that and it suits all my emergency needs. But that says more about cards than it does about cases.

I've got big, fast cards now. I'm not saying they're cheap, but I'm cheap and I got'em. My smallest current card is 128 Gb. I shoot C-Raw on Canon, which reduces file sizes by, maybe, half. I can put a zillion raw shots on a big card. I've never come close to filling one. I'm sure I've gone through at least 4 batteries on a single card.

I format the cards after every shoot, and put them back in the slot they came from. Starting a session with empty cards (dual slots) is part of my workflow. The camera is my card case.

Back
Top Bottom