What color space to use when doing your own printing?

For less exacting work, I find that I use the card less than I used to because the AWB in my new camera, an R6 II, seems to come close even in circumstances when my previous cameras didn't. however, it's still good to play it safe.
Back in the days that POTN was alive and well as a web forum, I published a test in which I used AWB setting to take a dozen or so shots off the back balcony of my house, aiming the camera in different directions toward the valley and surrounding hillsides for the shots, all taken within under one minute of elapsed time. I also shot a photo of a gray card in the exact same light, at the end of the entire brief sequence of shots, and used that to determine 'correct' WB and tint values in postprocessing...then I compared the AWB values in the following shots to the gray card 'standard' setting. It was a revelation just how POORLY the AWB did from shot to shot...few of the shots came close to the one gray card setting! What was of greater concern than the lack of matching the 'standard' was how very wide the deviation was from 'standard' in spite of the fact that all shots were not influenced by strong patch of bright color anywhere within any of the shots. While all were 'acceptable' in WB and tint, manywere not close to what the gray card suggested for settings.

I found the illustration for that post, but I cannot also find the recorded WB values from the series.
AWBexample.jpg

Last edited:
Back in the days that POTN was alive and well as a web forum, I published a test in which I used AWB setting to take a dozen or so shots off the back balcony of my house, aiming the camera in different directions toward the valley and surrounding hillsides for the shots, all taken within under one minute of elapsed time. I also shot a photo of a gray card in the exact same light, at the end of the entire brief sequence of shots, and used that to determine 'correct' WB and tint values in postprocessing...then I compared the AWB values in the following shots to the gray card 'standard' setting. It was a revelation just how POORLY the AWB did from shot to shot...few of the shots came close to the one gray card setting! What was of greater concern than the lack of matching the 'standard' was how very wide the deviation was from 'standard' in spite of the fact that all shots were not influenced by strong patch of bright color anywhere within any of the shots. While all were 'acceptable' in WB and tint, manywere not close to what the gray card suggested for settings.

I found the illustration for that post, but I cannot also find the recorded WB values from the series.
AWBexample.jpg
As mentioned below, automatic white balance is better in newer cameras compared to whatever you used when you took your images. It's a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison between those images and a new camera such as an R6.
For less exacting work, I find that I use the card less than I used to because the AWB in my new camera, an R6 II, seems to come close even in circumstances when my previous cameras didn't.
Noise, white balance, sensitivity, and autofocus are continually improving. I opine that AI will be used for white balance in a similar fashion that we do with our eyes.

Back
Top Bottom