Image Hosting

DanielScott

Image Editing
No
For the last few years I've been using Imgur to upload and host images to post them in various photography forums (not this one since thankfully this site allows us to upload directly), and it has worked well until now. They made some changes to their system that now causes uploaded images to lose a decent amount of color and quality, making it worthless for image hosting and displaying photos for photography forums. Does anyone have recommendations for other cheap or free options that DON'T strip uploaded photos of color/quality?

Flickr is free for the first 1000 photos or something like that. No problems with quality, etc. You can use their BBCode generator to post a hotlink here. It’s my standard method for sharing my images.

If you need more space it’s like $70 per year for unlimited storage. I was recently doing a comparison and I think it’s a lot cheaper than say smugmug, 500px, etc.

An alternate is to register your own domain and a basic hosting service. If you can get by without a .com then the .net, .usa etc extensions are less annually. My domain renewal for a .com single year is $30 and the hosting for a year was $167 For multi-year terms it drops so the fees can be more reasonable for 5+ year terms. There are many providers with better rates though.

I stuck with Flick as well. Quality seems decent and for web hosting it works well.
I remember a few years ago being told my Flickr photos would be removed if I wasn't paying for an account. They are all still there. I'm getting back into photography after several years of inactivity and I'm wondering if I should continue uploading photos there.

I remember a few years ago being told my Flickr photos would be removed if I wasn't paying for an account. They are all still there. I'm getting back into photography after several years of inactivity and I'm wondering if I should continue uploading photos there.
Flickr gives you 1000 images without cost. If you want more than that, then they offer several pro tiers with the cheapest being $5 a month ($132 for 2 years)

Flickr gives you 1000 images without cost. If you want more than that, then they offer several pro tiers with the cheapest being $5 a month ($132 for 2 years)
I have 5,662 photos on Flickr. Every time I visit the site I get a warning that my photos are at rick for deletion. But still nothing deleted. Oh well, no big deal if they do.

But a popup appears pestering me to sign up - and I cannot avoid it (n)
I'm not sure what the context behind this is. You get a popup when others use flickr to host their photos in forums?

For example, my image below causes you to have an unavoidable popup? If you're experiencing unwanted popups on any site, I would recommend adding the AdBlock Plus extension to your browser. The free version works very well.
53533521564_72188c5c73_h.jpg

I'm not sure what the context behind this is. You get a popup when others use flickr to host their photos in forums?
Weird. Never had that happen before. Yes, I would like to know the context of this as well. You get a popup when you click the image? Stiga, can you share the post in which you are seeing this behavior?

Sorry, crossed wires, it's your Instagram site blocks me from seeing your full-siz3 images (N,B. The red icon is caused by Lastpass in the screengrab below

x3dxjP.png

Back
Top Bottom