Link from Flickr to FoP on an Android device...anyone figure out how?

downhill on water

POTN Refugee
Name
Steve King
Image Editing
Yes
I've attempted several times to create an image-containing post to Focus on Photography (FoP) from my Android phone. My photos are on Flickr but I cannot see a method to create the BBCode link using the device Via computer it's no problem because the website offers the option in the dialog box that appears when the Share button is clicked. I've attempted with the Android Flickr app or via web browsers (Chrome and Edge).

Has anyone figured this out?

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any way to get the BBcode from the phone. The situation is the same for iPhone. You have to be on a regular computer to get to the menu that offers the BBcode. Why does it have to be this way? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, good idea. Also doesn't work. If I use the Desktop site, the share dialog box is completely different than on the computer. Didn't expect that....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I just embedded that on my iPhone. Chippie is my test account. It worked. I simply copy/pasted the URL. Should work on an Android device too. Pic is a bit small though.

Last edited:
Levina, I believe that approach does not embed the photo, but rather shows the link you copied as the photo. #NotAnExpert. Steve

@downhill on water
Steven, on my end, I can see it on the iPhone, I can also see it on my Mac in Safari. I cannot see it on my Mac in Firefox but that is because of restrictions in that browser. So it does seem to work. Have you rejected/disabled 3d party cookies maybe?

I've attempted several times to create an image-containing post to Focus on Photography (FoP) from my Android phone. My photos are on Flickr but I cannot see a method to create the BBCode link using the device Via computer it's no problem because the website offers the option in the dialog box that appears when the Share button is clicked. I've attempted with the Android Flickr app or via web browsers (Chrome and Edge).

Has anyone figured this out?
Same on the iPhone unfortunaly, even if you use a browser rather than the app all you get is a tiny URL.

The mobile website and the Flickr app does not provide any way to get the Bbcode, unfortunately. The only way to do this is to 1) save the photo on to your phone 2) use a resizing app (Image Size on iPhone is a highly rated choice (no personal experience with it and I am sure that is something equivalent on Android) to ensure that your photo is resized to 1600 pixels or less on the long edge and 3) upload (not embed) the resized photo to the forum.

I am using the Flickr app on my iPhone. It seems that you have to accept the third party cookies on here for it to work. Also, other members have to accept third party cookies to see them!:rolleyes:

I am using the Flickr app on my iPhone. It seems that you have to accept the third party cookies on here for it to work. Also, other members have to accept third party cookies to see them!:rolleyes:
Clare, flickr, Smugmug, Youtube, etc. all set cookies if you want to use or view their content. Most sites set them automatically. We just have the courtesy to tell you about it and ask your permission, give you a choice.

In short, these 3d part cookies have nothing to do with FoP. The only cookies we use are essential cookies, necessary to store user info so the software recognises you when you log in. And we don’t use tracking cookies.

In short, these 3d part cookies have nothing to do with FoP. The only cookies we use are essential cookies, necessary to store user info so the software recognises you when you log in.
"Reject optional cookies" is a choice reached from the "Cookies" button at bottom of page. So third-party cookies are the only optional ones, is that correct?

I started toggling that button to see Flickr images that start out hidden. This is a nuisance, and I can only hope that Flickr stops tracking me every time my setting is "no." My experience matches what Bambers wrote. I can't see her photos without allowing third-party cookies. Flickr photos posted in a way that simply links them come through fine.

These are my relevant browser settings. Do they do enough? I've read that businesses' sites can override "do not track" settings.

aaaaaaa.jpeg

"Reject optional cookies" is a choice reached from the "Cookies" button at bottom of page. So third-party cookies are the only optional ones, is that correct?
So you didn't actually read the information in "cookies" or you wouldn't be asking this question but I will answer it for you just the same.

We have essential cookies that you can't turn off because without them the forum software wouldn't recognise you, remember your settings, preferences etc. Then there are two functional cookies. One remembers the emoji's you used in your messages, the other tracks when a user has arrived from a search engine. You can turn these two off.
And then there are third party cookies. From the description: "Cookies set by third parties may be required to power functionality in conjunction with various service providers for security, analytics, performance or advertising purposes." You can turn them off, but then things won't function properly because these cookies are tied to performance. They are NOT malware. And you can always remove them later.

In the list of third parties that set cookies, you can actually click on those parties and read more about what their cookies do exactly.

Having said that, have you ever looked in your system just how many cookies you have stored there? My guess is it is a very long list. When you browse the internet, go to read newspapers, do a Google search, look at something on Amazon, go to flickr, go to Youtube to watch a video, visit another forum, etc. you will already have every cookie in existence on your Macbook because I know you have no extensions to keep cookies out, you have no extensions to clear them automatically (tracking cookies don't expire for a very long time!), you wouldn't know where they are stored or how to delete them. In short, you are already tracked, wherever you go.

My advice: Accept all cookies and stop worrying.

So you didn't actually read the information in "cookies" or you wouldn't be asking this question but I will answer it for you just the same. . . .

Having said that, have you ever looked in your system just how many cookies you have stored there? My guess is it is a very long list.

My advice: Accept all cookies and stop worrying.
I've read the information before. This time I relied on the abbreviated bottom-of-page version.

My cookie list is very short now. After a recent Firefox accident, I had to download Firefox anew. I used to check cookies once in a while and delete many. They reappeared so fast that the task got burdensome and I didn't keep up with it. Losing old (though current) Firefox destroyed my bookmarks, history, and cookies. I had to log in again at sites I visit every day. Goodbye, junk cookies! Another reason for having so few may be that the adblocker I chose is newer and more effective than the old one.

I know what your advice is, as you've given it before. I didn't mean to waste your time, especially the time it took to write about my presumed vast areas of ignorance. I posted specifically because someone here might know whether Firefox's measures make excluding third-party cookies redundant. Where Firefox says it blocks "cross-site cookies in all windows," (1) the implication is that users have reason to want those cookies blocked, and (2) does Firefox already accomplish what rejecting third-party cookies at Focus is meant to do?

©2023 Robert Whetton | www.rjwhetton.co.uk by Robert Whetton, on Flickr

Posted from Pixel 6a

Steps
Flickr_Android.jpg

Last edited:
I have dealt with this. You will not have the BBCode option if you use the Flickr Android app. I deleted the app so it cannot get in the way and I use the Chrome browser on my phone. That gave me back the BBCode option.

Back
Top Bottom