Canon RF 24-240 f/4-6.3 IS USM discuss and post pictures

This is a really nice lens! I rented one for a trip to LA in July, to use on a whale watching cruise I had signed up for in San Pedro. Didn't see any whales, but there were a lot of dolphins, and an Ocean Sunfish (Mola). I was using my Canon R7, and I wanted something with a broader but more moderate FL range than my 100-400.

20230728-WhaleCruise-110-Edit by mdc_com1, on Flickr

20230728-WhaleCruise-282-Edit by mdc_com1, on Flickr

For me, the RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS USM works well when I want a light weight, one lens kit rather than two bodies or changing lenses. Like a train ride.

View attachment 5314

I have used it a lot this last year.
Rick, that’s an incredible image! With the stream in the foreground, the yellows and greens, and the snow caps visible in the distance between the mountains, it almost looks like it has to be a painting. The composition is that perfect. Well done!

Rick, that’s an incredible image! With the stream in the foreground, the yellows and greens, and the snow caps visible in the distance between the mountains, it almost looks like it has to be a painting. The composition is that perfect. Well done!
Thank you, Mike. It was kinda chilly, misty and raining off and on but I stuck my head out the window anyway! I guess it was worth the effort.

I am interested in the RF 24-240. I have the EF-S 18-200 that I can use with my R6II, but being a crop lens, it drops the frame to 9.4 Mp, so I am considering the RF 24-240 instead. This comparison test between the two, shows a lot of Chromatic Aberration for the RF but better sharpness. What is your experience?

I am interested in the RF 24-240. I have the EF-S 18-200 that I can use with my R6II, but being a crop lens, it drops the frame to 9.4 Mp, so I am considering the RF 24-240 instead. This comparison test between the two, shows a lot of Chromatic Aberration for the RF but better sharpness. What is your experience?

I apply the lens correction and chromatic aberration profiles in Lightroom and rarely have seen CA. When I do it is usually when I intentionally over exposed the sky behind trees. In that case I use the eye dropper to correct it. Post #9 is an example of where I intentionally over exposed the sky and used the eye dropper. It is at 24 mm, which is where CA is more obvious. Yes, there is also motion blur.

You may want to rent one.

I apply the lens correction and chromatic aberration profiles in Lightroom and rarely have seen CA. When I do it is usually when I intentionally over exposed the sky behind trees. In that case I use the eye dropper to correct it. Post #9 is an example of where I intentionally over exposed the sky and used the eye dropper. It is at 24 mm, which is where CA is more obvious. Yes, there is also motion blur.

You may want to rent one.
Thank you, I might go for the inexpensive RF 100-400 instead.

So I ended up buying a copy of this lens. After a few outings I'm pretty impressed by the results. Most of the time, changing lenses is not an option for me and this gives me a lot of versatility. I'm looking forward to using it more.24-2401.jpg

So I ended up buying a copy of this lens. After a few outings I'm pretty impressed by the results. Most of the time, changing lenses is not an option for me and this gives me a lot of versatility. I'm looking forward to using it more.View attachment 42802
Wow, what a great place to have a house!

Wow, what a great place to have a house!
That's especially true when you know that this side isn't the most spectacular... But it isn't the easiest place to access in Winter, so there's a price to pay.
What you see here are the first mountains forming the Mont Blanc massif on the Swiss side. The Mont Blanc itself is about 30 km away.

This lens is of interest to me - seems like it might make a nice travel lens.

I've been paring down my gear recently, especially in the every-day-carry department, making them more portable and lightweight. I've now got the RF versions of the 16mm, 35mm, 50mm, 24-105 (STM), 100-400 (STM), and 600 (STM). With the 24-240, I think I can make a ultralight travel/hiking kit with just the R6+35mm+24-240.

The choices available now, at very reasonable prices and good image quality, are pretty terrific!

Back
Top Bottom