Posting Images

Barry

POTN Refugee
Name
Guess
Image Editing
No
I am starting to have problems posting images..(Too Big)..I re-size to less than the limit but still get the too big...I drag-drop to resize corners but again too big..I use to use Preview to re-size with my MAC, but no longer gets it small enough..What are you using to change the resolution..? (MAC)..I dont use a photo hosting service..Any simple methods as it is becoming too much trouble....Thanks !!

I am starting to have problems posting images..(Too Big)..I re-size to less than the limit but still get the too big...I drag-drop to resize corners but again too big..I use to use Preview to re-size with my MAC, but no longer gets it small enough..What are you using to change the resolution..? (MAC)..I dont use a photo hosting service..Any simple methods as it is becoming too much trouble....Thanks !!
Are you limiting exports for both pixel long edge as well as file size? If not, maybe you're exceeding one but not the other. In Lightroom I limit to 1,600 pixels on the long edge. Most of my b&w images fall well below the maximum file size of 1.6 MB, while color images will blow that. It's a good practice to set the max file size somewhere below that.

I have the same problem. My photos never start with an edge as long as 1600. This one, posted yesterday, took three or four downsizings before being accepted. The version I'd posted on POTN with no hitch was 1350 x 1080 px, 1 MB. The Focus version is 1120 x 896, 646 KB. Mac and Preview here too.

A peacock has settled in on a nearby street, and Focus rejects my photos of him unless they're reduced so far as to lose too much detail. I thought maybe saturated and diverse colors were the obstacle, but apparently not: the linked image in Leaves has a rather limited palette. Another shot with a very limited palette wouldn't post until I either desaturated it or made it smaller.

I have the same problem. My photos never start with an edge as long as 1600. This one, posted yesterday, took three or four downsizings before being accepted. The version I'd posted on POTN with no hitch was 1350 x 1080 px, 1 MB. The Focus version is 1120 x 896, 646 KB. Mac and Preview here too.

A peacock has settled in on a nearby street, and Focus rejects my photos of him unless they're reduced so far as to lose too much detail. I thought maybe saturated and diverse colors were the obstacle, but apparently not: the linked image in Leaves has a rather limited palette. Another shot with a very limited palette wouldn't post until I either desaturated it or made it smaller.
What software are you using, and what format are you exporting to? I use lightroom to export to jpg files. I've never had an issue here. FoP even accepted an image at 2,048 pixels on the long edge (I assume it downsized it).

Are you limiting exports for both pixel long edge as well as file size? If not, maybe you're exceeding one but not the other. In Lightroom I limit to 1,600 pixels on the long edge. Most of my b&w images fall well below the maximum file size of 1.6 MB, while color images will blow that. It's a good practice to set the max file size somewhere below that.

Thanks Matt, I dont have Lightroom. I cancelled the subscription with Adobe/Photoshop, but will renew very soon..and will give that a shot..Been using Preview on my Mac for re-sizing apparently up till now tho !!

OhLook, that picture is only 1120x896pixels large but no less than 1.5MB! How you manage to get such a big file from a 12mp camera is a mystery to me. What is your workflow and how do you downsize your files?

Could you repeat the max size for images ?

We were spoilt on POTN as it auto sized uploads - now I have to copy photos over into a new FOP folder for self sizing before posting. Or am I missing an easier way ?

Many thanks and enjoying being a FOP so far ! ;)

What software are you using, and what format are you exporting to? I use lightroom to export to jpg files. I've never had an issue here. FoP even accepted an image at 2,048 pixels on the long edge (I assume it downsized it).
What the MacBook provides. I crop in ImageBrowser, send a copy to the Desktop, do remaining PP (incl. resizing) in Preview. Once in a great while, I use Pro Photos, which has features Preview doesn't. Everything is a jpg.

OhLook, that picture is only 1120x896pixels large but no less than 1.5MB! How you manage to get such a big file from a 12mp camera is a mystery to me. What is your workflow and how do you downsize your files?
Everything about the process is a mystery to me. See reply to Nevermore above and, for downsizing, this screenshot.

Untitled.jpeg

The G15 has four choices of how many pixels to use. I keep it set at the maximum, 4000 x 3000, because who would want to start with less than optimal quality, outside of an emergency like a suddenly low battery?

Aside from reducing the pixel dimensions to reduce file size, is it possible for you to specify a compression factor (0 = lowest compression, highest quality) or an image quality factor (100 = highest quality, lowest compression) when converting or saving the image in jpg format? Reducing the quality slightly / increasing compression reduces file size in MBs.

Aside from reducing the pixel dimensions to reduce file size, is it possible for you to specify a compression factor (0 = lowest compression, highest quality) or an image quality factor (100 = highest quality, lowest compression) when converting or saving the image in jpg format? Reducing the quality slightly / increasing compression reduces file size in MBs.
Yes.

I took an old file from my 1DIIn which is just under 4000px and used Preview to downsize the file. What it does is convert it to a TIFF, which pretty much doubled the file size from 6.7 to 13.7MB.

Schermafbeelding 2023-12-30 om 19.56.55.png

But saving the file I got this window where I could set parameters: I chose jpeg and moved the slider ever so slightly to the left so I ended up with a 1600px file that was well within specs.

Schermafbeelding 2023-12-30 om 19.58.37.png

Barry, can you tell me the dimensions as in how many pixels on the long end. And how heavy the image is in terms of MB's.

Ill have to find the photo again to get the exact pixels...As far as the MB, I set it down to 1.2, but I know its the pixel size I cannot change in Preview...Ill have to find another way...There must be tons..!

Yes.

I took an old file from my 1DIIn which is just under 4000px and used Preview to downsize the file. What it does is convert it to a TIFF, which pretty much doubled the file size from 6.7 to 13.7MB.

View attachment 19796

But saving the file I got this window where I could set parameters: I chose jpeg and moved the slider ever so slightly to the left so I ended up with a 1600px file that was well within specs.

View attachment 19797

That is exactly what I do...Perhaps something changed in my own Preview setup..Lemme check

Ill have to find the photo again to get the exact pixels...As far as the MB, I set it down to 1.2, but I know its the pixel size I cannot change in Preview...Ill have to find another way...There must be tons..!
I asked because it's a bit fluid. That is to say we have set the max. file size to 1600px on the long end. That should also take care of the MB's. But the software will also accept larger files and resize them for you. How large depends on the pixels vs MB's ratio. But in general, don't upload anything larger than about 4000px. Then in most cases the software will resize it to 1600px. But then again, I've uploaded images of 3500px that were too large because of the weight (MB's). So there isn't a static number I can give you.

Also, when the software downsizes your images, the exif gets stripped. I downsize my images myself before uploading, but then, I've always done that so forum software (of any forum!) doesn't mess with them.

File one resized was 1.3MB, resized in Affinity to 960KB...Still too big...Im done....

How big were the dimensions? If your file was 960kb but it was 6000px wide, it would still be too large.

I figured !! it was 6240 !! A bit large I would say and no way I could see to bring it down in Affinity, Preview or ACDsee..(Not the band !!)

I figured !! it was 6240 !! A bit large I would say and no way I could see to bring it down in Affinity, Preview or ACDsee..(Not the band !!)
See how it depends on the px to MB ratio? With that big a file, the kb's didn't matter. It was too large. I'm glad we figured it out.

Back
Top Bottom