Posting Images

The bigger window behind the smaller window with "Open" and "Open with" etc. was just an open window on my desktop. Here's the same starting point, now just with one image on my desktop:

View attachment 28270
In Sierra, below "Tags..." these are the two items: "Set Desktop Picture" and "Reveal in Finder." Nothing leads to "Convert."

I use my iPhone more and more - and as the files are getting better and bigger , sometimes even those images are too large to post here. The funny thing is that the imaging software in the phone is okay for most things, light / crop / etc, but I can’t find a resize and save as copy function. Or another way to go straight from iPhone to this site ? Good tips always appreciated :-D

I use my iPhone more and more - and as the files are getting better and bigger , sometimes even those images are too large to post here. The funny thing is that the imaging software in the phone is okay for most things, light / crop / etc, but I can’t find a resize and save as copy function. Or another way to go straight from iPhone to this site ? Good tips always appreciated :-D
Apple Photos on a desktop has an export option where you are then given the option to downsize your file but no such thing on a mobile device it seems.

I have a humble iPhone SE 2d gen. Files are 4032x3024px and 3.4MB and I just tested it and they are accepted and resized here.

How big are your too large files from your iPhone, Nic?

Apple Photos on a desktop has an export option where you are then given the option to downsize your file but no such thing on a mobile device it seems.

I have a humble iPhone SE 2d gen. Files are 4032x3024px and 3.4MB and I just tested it and they are accepted and resized here.

How big are your too large files from your iPhone, Nic?
Thanks Levina
Next time I run into the issue I‘ll look at the details. They are ”normal” photos, not the raw which are seriously large!
My iPhone is the 14 Pro Max or suchlike - they are up to #15 now.

Thanks Levina
Next time I run into the issue I‘ll look at the details. They are ”normal” photos, not the raw which are seriously large!
My iPhone is the 14 Pro Max or suchlike - they are up to #15 now.
Yeah, some people I know just got the 15 (not naming any names - hi, Joayne!). I’m gonna hang on to my SE for a bit longer even though the battery is starting to show its age…

When it happens again, let me know, ok, so I can take a look at it.

I need to do a little follow up on the Mac Preview downsizing tool. The short of it is: don't use it, because it doesn't downsize images to what it says it will downsize it to.

Here's an example. My image was larger than 1600px on the long end and it was too heavy (3.3MB). So I ran it through Preview. First I changed the dimensions to 1600px on the long end. Preview lets me know that the new size will be 623 KB, from 3.3 MB, or 72.7% of the original 100%. Perfect for the forum.
Scherm­afbeelding 2024-01-25 om 18.20.16.png
I click OK and then the resulting image is not the promised 623 KB, but the image is 1.9MB large! So Preview doesn't downsize an image to what it says it will downsize it to and that's why you end up with images that are too large for the forum.

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-01-25 om 18.48.07.png

So, it really is NOT a good idea to use Mac Preview to downsize your images. My advice is to use Photos instead and not just for downsizing your images but for your basic tweaks as well.

Preview is not a photo editor in any way. It's a preview app with a few rudimentary tools. Photos on the other hand is a dedicated photo editor and much better than anything Preview can do. It is a basic app, simple to use and does a good job, so it's worth giving it a try.

Back
Top Bottom