I would love one, but suspect the weight (2kg) would be an issue. I'm considering a RF100-500 but the awfy expensive...

Sounds interesting and a pretty compelling FL range for wildlife shooters. Are there any image samples and/or reviews yet?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I pre-ordered. I'm hoping this will be a suitable replacement for my EF 100-400ii that I've been using with the 2x TC over the years for airshows. I like that it can still take the 1.4x/2x converters going forward as well.

@jwcdds
Cool. I have the RF 100-500mm and it is truly excellent. I does also very well with the RF 1.4xTC for perched birds, but my BIF pics tend to be a bit soft-ish with the extender. Could be me of course. Nevertheless I'm really curious how this lens will do with flying objects.

@jwcdds
Cool. I have the RF 100-500mm and it is truly excellent. I does also very well with the RF 1.4xTC for perched birds, but my BIF pics tend to be a bit soft-ish with the extender. Could be me of course. Nevertheless I'm really curious how this lens will do with flying objects.
In my most recent airshow outing, I was shooting the ef100-400ii w/ two 2x TC. I mean if you want to talk about diffraction and degradation of image quality, I can't think of many worse ways to do it. :D

That said, I got away with some pretty decent shots given the frankenstein combo. So I figured starting at 200-800 should give me a great advantage over my existing setup.

In my most recent airshow outing, I was shooting the ef100-400ii w/ two 2x TC. I mean if you want to talk about diffraction and degradation of image quality, I can't think of many worse ways to do it. :D

That said, I got away with some pretty decent shots given the frankenstein combo. So I figured starting at 200-800 should give me a great advantage over my existing setup.
Makes a lot of sense, Julian.
When will this lens start shipping?

@digital paradise
Well spotted, DP.
Canon apparently doesn't know its own lenses.
Makes you wonder what else they missed. I think the key ones like dual vs single nano AF motors and optics is accurate as far as I know. Not dealing with a TC has a lot of appeal. Even with 5 stops hand holding an 800mm lens will be tougher. BIF very challenging. That puts me in this area. Can't I just crop that last 100mm?

Back
Top Bottom